The mango season is upon us and no doubt many of you have
seen this juicy succulent fruit being sold across the streets of every major
Nigerian city. Now before you ignore them and spend your money on something else,
here are 20 reasons why your money will be better spent on a mango.
1. Helps prevents cancer: Mangoes are packed with
antioxidant compounds which have been found to protect against cancer. These
compounds include quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid
and methylgallat, as well as the abundant enzymes. They prevent cancer cells from
multiplying or developing.
2. Lowers cholesterol: The high levels of soluble fiber,
pectin and vitamin C help to lower blood levels of cholesterol, specifically
Low-Density Lipoprotein (the bad kind).
3. High iron content: Mango is rich in iron, hence it is a
great natural solution for people suffering from anemia. Menopausal and
pregnant women can indulge in mangoes as this will increase their iron levels
and calcium at the same time.
4. Fertility booster: Mangoes are excellent for women
looking to get pregnant as they provide folic acid, which is necessary for
5. Eye health: Mangoes contain vitamin A, which promotes
good eyesight and prevents night blindness and dry eyes.
6. Helps in diabetes: Mango fruit have a relatively low
glycemic index (41-60) so moderate ingested amounts of the fruit will not spike
your sugar levels.
7. Natural sex enhancer: Mangoes are a great source of
vitamin E. Vitamin E has been show to increase your sex drive and stamina.
8. Improves digestion: Mangoes are one of the many fruits
which contain enzymes needed for breaking down protein. The fiber in mangoes
also helps digestion and elimination.
9. Alkalizes the whole body: The tartaric acid, malic acid,
and a trace of citric acid found in the fruit help to maintain the body’s pH
levels via its alkalizing effect.
10. Boosts Immune system: The generous amounts of vitamin C
and vitamin A in mangoes, plus 25 different kinds of plant pigments called carotenoids
which keep your immune system healthy and strong.
11. Anti-aging effects: The vitamin A and vitamin C found in
mangoes are also known to be anti-aging nutrients. They help delay the
appearance of wrinkles and fine lines by eliminating excess free radicals.
11. Weight loss: Mango has a lot of vitamins and nutrients
that help the body feel fuller. Also, the fibrous fruit boosts the digestive
function of the body by burning additional calories, helping in weight loss.
The insoluble fiber in mangoes help flush out impurities in the gut, leading to
a flatter belly.
13. Aids concentration and memory: Mangoes are rich in
glutamine acid– an important protein for concentration and memory. It has been recommended
that mangoes should be fed to children who find it difficult to concentrate on
14. Great source of trace minerals: Trace minerals such as
potassium, selenium, zinc and copper are present in mangoes and these are necessary
for optimum health.
15. Control dandruff: The vitamin A in mangoes helps to
control dandruff. It is recommended that mangoes be mashed and then applied to
the hair and left for a few minutes before washing off. It also has the added
effect of making your hair glow.
16. Natural skin lightener: Mangoes when rubbed onto the
skin and left for 10-15 minutes have been found to be an excellent skin without
any of the harmful effects that creams offer.
17. Great for sensitive skin: A paste of equal amounts of
mashed mango, oatmeal and honey can be used as a face mask for people with
18. Skin cleanser: Mangoes help unclog pores and add
freshness to the face. Mangoes are applicable to any skin type. They help clear
clogged pores that cause acne and remove blackheads. Just slice a mango into
thin pieces and keep them on your face for 10 to 15 minutes and then take bath
or wash your face.
19. Gray hair prevention: Mangoes have been known to keep
gray hair at bay by applying coconut oil mixed with mango seed with the outer
20. Great conditioner: Mango can also be used as a home-made conditioner. For this purpose, mix mango pulp with a spoonful of
yogurt and two egg yolks. Apply this on your hair and leave for 30 minutes to
make your hair soft and manageable.